couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin R. Coombes" <kevin.r.coom...@gmail.com>
Subject formal database schema?
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2012 14:34:32 GMT
Hi,

We just had a manuscript that describes three applications of CouchDB in
bioinformatics  accepted with minor revisions.  (I think this will be
the first paper describing a CouchDB application in the area of
bioinformatics.)

One of the requested minor changes is for "schematics, data models,
etc".  I'm sure that the reviewer is thinking about the kinds of schema
diagrams that can easily be supplied for a relational database.  Other
than a table or a screenshot showing the reviewer what a typical
document looks like in these databases, does anyone know of equivalent
tools or diagrams to describe a document-oriented database? Are there
any (formal) design or document conventions that have evolved or are
evolving for describing databases built using Couch?

     Kevin

In case anyone wants to take a look at the applications, here are the URLs:

geneSmash

http://app1.bioinformatics.mdanderson.org/genesmash/_design/basic/index.html
drugBase

http://app1.bioinformatics.mdanderson.org/drugbase/_design/basic/index.html