couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Tim Kuijsten <i...@netsend.nl>
Subject multi user/login best practices
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2012 00:00:06 GMT
I've created a single page app that is going to be used by different
commercial parties and was wondering what are the best practices to
divide the databases.

Currently I think of one database per commercial party (with possibly
different users all having the same access rights).

In the future I might split up some databases into one database per
subdivision. I'm not really tempted by creating one database per user,
especially because i need to have somewhat logical/maintainable url's
(from both an aesthetic and an administrators point of view) and like to
use the e-mail addresses of users for their usernames so there is no
direct mapping from username to database name (since @ and . are not
allowed in a database name, apart from the fact that the url starts
looking unacceptably bad with usernames in it).

All apps need authentication so I've setup a public database hosting the
jquery.couchLogin.js app which asks, after successful authentication,
for a custom "usertodb" document from the public database. This document
hosts a mapping between usernames and database names. Then this public
app redirects to the corresponding url and/or db.

Currently I'm not sure whether to use different domains/subdomains per
database or subdirs.

I'd like to hear experiences/best practices/feedback from other people
who had a somewhat similar case, since this is my first couchdb project.

ps. I'd need couchdb-lucene to work with the setup, up till now I only
tested it on a single db.