couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Referer header required for POST requests?
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 20:55:43 GMT

On Mar 30, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Michael Parker wrote:

Oops, I was equating POST with creating a new document and PUT with
updating one. I didn't realize that PUT should always be used when
specifying a document URL. That works.

In a typical REST API, POST creates a new resource but lets the server decide what its URL
will be. The URL of the request is usually the 'container' or parent of where the resource
should go. By contrast, a PUT request can either create or update a resource, but the URL
is always the resource itself.

—Jens