couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Documentation issue
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 09:41:21 GMT

On Mar 3, 2012, at 15:54 , Mike Coolin wrote:

> So don't improve the documentation such as it is, read the tests?
>
> I think Andrey has a point. Tests are not documentation, they are guardrails and samples.

My point was not that we shouldn't document this. Of course we should document this, thanks
for raising the issue.

I took issue with these two sentences: "Problem with _purge that it was not documented. That
means this was not well tested." in particular that there is somehow a causal relationship
between non-documented features and their well-testedness. While it is correct that well documented
features do get more real-world exposure, and thus testing, I just wanted to point out that
we do have tests for _purge that have been around for a long time and that I am reasonably
confident that it is a stable feature.

Sorry for the confusion! :)

Cheers
Jan
--

> Cheers Mike

That means this was not well tested. I'd contest that notion, there's been automatic tests
for _purge ever since the feature landed. Cheers Jan -- > > Thanks. >> To me it
seems exactly the same, but I'm not an expert. >> >> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 3:39
PM, Robert Newson<rnewson@apache.org> wrote: >> >>> I said 'better' not
'good'. :) >>> >>> On 2 March 2012 20:20, Mark Hahn<mark@hahnca.com>
wrote: >>>>> A better solution is to periodically switch to a new database
and then >>>> delete the old one (when those sessions are ended). >>>>