couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB, linux & clean shutdowns
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:35:03 GMT
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad
<joerlend.schinstad@gmail.com> wrote:
> Den 20. mars 2012 13:59, skrev Martin Hewitt:
>
>> Is this a CouchDB "thing" or is the init.d script shutting down CouchDB in
>> a non-clean fashion that's causing a cautionary rebuild when CouchDB comes
>> back up?
>

> As far as I'm aware, there's no clean way to shutdown CouchDB. It's designed
> that way. You just kill it.

There is no **unclean** way to shut down CouchDB.

However CouchDB is not responsible for the bits hitting the metal (or
the SSD). Many layers lurk between CouchDB and the disk; so generally
speaking the cleaner the shutdown the better.

--
Iris Couch