couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: Creating a database with lots of documents and updating a view
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:32:03 GMT
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Daniel Gonzalez <gonvaled@gonvaled.com> wrote:
> Hi CGS,
>
> As you can see from the other threads that I have opened, the problem seems
> to be threefold:
>
>   1. The bigger the database gets, the more size couchdb needs *per
>   document*
>   2. The bigger the database gets, the more time it takes to insert new
>   documents
>   3. The bigger the database gets, the longer it gets to generate the
>   views. The dependency is not lineal.

Number 1 and 2 are true and *should* show logarithmically-increasing
costs per document (i.e. not too bad).

500k updates per day is 6 updates per second which CouchDB can easily
maintain and index.

In that light, would you agree that you are currently enduring the
long sunk cost of adding and indexing all those documents? (By
comparison, mkfs.ext3 is painfully slow for large volumes, but we
don't mind because we know it's a one-off cost.)

Having said all of that, this is one of the problems BigCouch solves.
It is pretty much API-compatible with CouchDB so you might investigate
that option too. In my opinion, roughly speaking, you get better
performance at a cost of a little more operational (sysadmin) work.

--
Iris Couch