couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <>
Subject Re: Why are reads from CouchDB so slow? (1.5MB/s or thereabouts)
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:16:30 GMT
Hi, Jonathan.

Can we start by identifying how fast you think **is** reasonable. What
speeds were you expecting? And on what grounds do you base that

(For example, perhaps connecting and fetching one row from MySQL?)

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Jonathan Williamson <> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I posted this question on Stack Overflow and Jason Smith suggested I
> try this group instead.
>> I have a CouchDB (1.1.1) server running that contains a lot of documents in the 400-600KB
size range.
>> If I time fetching a full document from the database (not from a view, just the raw
document) it takes 200-400ms to complete which equates to around 1.5MB/s throughput.
>> If I write the same data to raw files on disk they load in 10-20ms (around 25-50
>> I'd expect CouchDB to have some overhead, but an order of magnitude (and some) seems
crazy for what is essentially a read!
>> Can anyone shed some light onto why this might be the case?
>> Update: As requested below, a timing from curl:
>> # time curl http://localhost:5984/[dbname]/[documentname]
>> real    0m0.684s
>> user    0m0.004s
>> sys     0m0.020s
>> The fetched document was 642842 bytes. I've tested it on both a standard 1TB harddisk
and an EC2 instance (EBS volume) with similar results.
> There was some discussion about the post which can be found here:
> Thanks,
> Jon.

Iris Couch

View raw message