couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Matthieu Rakotojaona <matthieu.rakotoja...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Size of couchdb documents
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:09:40 GMT
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Daniel Gonzalez <gonvaled@gonvaled.com> wrote:
> I understand the overheads that you are referring to, but it still schocks
> me that Couchdb needs 8 times as much space to store the data.
>
> Are there any guidelines on what to do/avoid in order to get a lower
> overhead ratio?

I got surprisingly good results when changing the _id design. I advise
you to follow what is written in this page :
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Performance#File_size

Basically :
- use shorter _ids
- use sequential _ids. If you cannot (eg because you have multiple
disconnected parts that will have to merge often and that would cause
too many clashes), you can use couchdb's own semi-sequential generated
uuids. Yes, uuids are contradictory to the first point.

--
Matthieu RAKOTOJAONA