couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Mehdi El Fadil <mehdi.elfa...@mango-is.com>
Subject couchdb space usage issue
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:01:59 GMT
Hi,

I have left an application populating couchdb with tweets on a dev server
running for a few days.

At one point there were 1.7 million documents, and the database was using
approx. 8GB. One day later there were 1.71 million documents, but the DB
had filled the whole disk (20 GB). This looks strange, only 100 000 new
docs, using more space than the 1.7 million that were previously there. All
the documents were created by the same script.

What happened during this day was insertion of documents, one replication
(before the disk was filled), few get _all_docs queries, and I doubt that
any view has been refreshed.

There has not been any update running on the docs. Logs show errors related
to the no space left on device, but nothing before that.

I have copied the 20GB couchdb database file to a larger disk to get able
to trigger a replication, and the replicated version only uses a bit more
than 8 GB.

Any explanation of the cause of the huge jump in space usage by the
database?

couchdb version is 1.1.0 is I remember well.

Thanks.
--
*
Mehdi El Fadil <http://be.linkedin.com/in/elfadme>