couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Woodward <>
Subject Issue Creating Users
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2012 02:05:37 GMT
It's been a while since I've done this so I'm probably just missing
something but I'm not able to successfully add non-admin users to CouchDB,
specifically BigCouch 0.4.0 / CouchDB 1.1.1 on Ubuntu Server. Also this is
in a 6-node cluster if that matters.

In case this indicates some sort of configuration issue, I'll first say
that when I go to Futon and am logged out, and I click the "Sign Up" link
and enter a new user there, it errors out with "Error logging in: Name or
password is incorrect" (Only reason I bring this up is I do *not* see this
behavior on IrisCouch.) And note that it DOES create the user document even
though the error is thrown.

So I decided to try just posting a new user to the _users database using
the openssl command line steps here:

And I made absolutely sure not to include the (stdin) stuff that the newer
version of openssl spits out.

Then I put the document into Couch like this:
curl -X PUT http://serverAdmin:password@myserver:5984/_users/org.couchdb.user:foo
-H "Content-Type: application/json"

That gets an "ok" response, and the document exists in the _users database
with the correct values.

But even at that point I can't log in via Futon, and anything I try to do
via curl using those credentials returns "Name or password is incorrect"

As I said I'm probably missing something here but I just cannot get a
non-admin user created in any of the ways I've tried. Creating a server
admin via Futon works fine, but with non-admin users I always get the "Name
or password is incorrect" error.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Matthew Woodward / Twitter: @mpwoodward

Please do not send me proprietary file formats such as Word, PowerPoint,
etc. as attachments.