couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "nicholas a. evans" <n...@ekenosen.net>
Subject Re: Sorting CouchDB data using couch-lucene
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:28:47 GMT
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
> cross-posting is generally bad form as it splits the conversation. If
> I answer here or on SO, someone potentially loses out.

Good point.  Sorry about that.

> That said, couchdb-lucene is an independent index, sourced from the
> database. As such, it has no access to the reduced values nor does it
> have an equivalent feature. Where did you see that suggestion?

I saw that suggestion at http://stackoverflow.com/a/2821476/110681

I think the idea wasn't so much that couchdb-lucene would read from
the view as much that couchdb-lucene would give me a completely
different way to approach the problem.  Is there some way for lucene
to index the data so that it could give me ranked results?  E.g. if
every document has a doc.sender, is there some way to store the
senders in lucene and then ask for a ranking of senders with their
counts?  I don't know enough about lucene or full-text indexing in
general, so I hoped and assumed there might be some way to twist the
lucene index to do my bidding.  :)

If lucene can't help out and no one knows of an open source chained
map-reduce views implementation, then the polyglot persistence
approach sounds best to me, since redis zsets are perfect for this
particular task.

Thanks.
--
Nick