couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Gonzalez <gonva...@gonvaled.com>
Subject Re: Size of couchdb documents
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:02:52 GMT
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
> Any reason you can't use the built-in, default UUID algorithm that
> produces collision-resistant but sequential values?
>
> B.

Two reasons:

1. According to the couchdb-python documentation, this is not
recommended: "The save() method creates a document with a random ID
generated by CouchDB (which is not recommended)."
http://packages.python.org/CouchDB/client.html. I do not remember the
reasoning behind this., but I have been sticking to this in my
libraries.
2. Using a standard uuid will probably put me back into my size and
performance problems. The uuid generated by couchdb is 32 (?)
characters, and now I am using much less.