couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Martin Hewitt <mar...@thenoi.se>
Subject Re: CouchDB, linux & clean shutdowns
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:12:22 GMT
Hi Matthew,

On 20 Mar 2012, at 13:06, Matthew Woodward wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Martin Hewitt <martin@thenoi.se> wrote:
>
>> Is this a CouchDB "thing" or is the init.d script shutting down CouchDB in
>> a non-clean fashion that's causing a cautionary rebuild when CouchDB comes
>> back up?
>>

> I believe given the way writes in CouchDB work that shutting it down
> gracefully or even doing a kill -9 would have no impact as far as this goes.
>
> Is this always the behavior for you when you do a restart? Is this a single
> server or are you doing any replication?

I'm not sure - we don't restart very often. I can try a restart later today once all the views
have rebuilt and see if the issue persists.

It's a single server, no replication - it's our beta database, so one step removed from production.

>> Obviously, we hope not to have to restart frequently, but the rebuild
>> process takes a while on our larger databases, so it's quite a barrier to
>> our availability to have these views being recreated from scratch.
>>

> If you add stale=ok to your query does anything come up or is it as if the
> view doesn't exist at all after you do a restart?

Adding stale=ok gives the expected response, but the views have been rebuilding for a little
while now, I'll try this when I do the above restart later today.

>> It may be that I need to upgrade my CouchDB install, but if there's any
>> light that can be shed on this without that being necessary, that would be
>> good.
>>

> What version are you running?

Running 1.2.0a-1160734, compiled from source some time back.