couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Martin Hewitt <mar...@thenoi.se>
Subject CouchDB, linux & clean shutdowns
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:59:21 GMT
Hi all,

We've just had a problem with one of our CouchDB servers - it was repeatedly crashing with
gen_server timeouts - so I restarted CouchDB using /etc/init.d/couchdb restart

Our applications send HEAD requests to our main database views to ensure they remain up to
date and responsive as our write volume vastly outweighs our read volume, but when CouchDB
restarted, all the views began rebuilding from scratch when first accessed.

Is this a CouchDB "thing" or is the init.d script shutting down CouchDB in a non-clean fashion
that's causing a cautionary rebuild when CouchDB comes back up?

Obviously, we hope not to have to restart frequently, but the rebuild process takes a while
on our larger databases, so it's quite a barrier to our availability to have these views being
recreated from scratch.

It may be that I need to upgrade my CouchDB install, but if there's any light that can be
shed on this without that being necessary, that would be good.

Many thanks,

Martin