couchdb-user mailing list archives

From James Klo <jim....@sri.com>
Subject Re: Question about multiple keys with ranges
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2012 23:37:00 GMT
Reverse the key. [userid, time]

CouchDB is all about understanding collation. Basically views are sorted/grouped from left
to right alphanumeric. See http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/View_collation for the finer details
as there are more rules than the basics I mention.

so the reversal sorts the view by userid first, then date as string. Instead of sorting by
dates then userids.

You do it this way because you know the exact userid, but not the exact date. If you knew
the exact date, but not the userid, what you have currently would be better.

- Jim

Sent from my iPad