couchdb-user mailing list archives

From James Klo <jim....@sri.com>
Subject Re: Barista: Helping Java relax
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:07:43 GMT
We'll be measuring that soon, so I should be able to report on that.  We've got some pretty
large views (last I looked, ~1M docs with some views ~350GB).  My general observation tho
by just plain wall clock estimation, is that indexing a large number of docs is significantly
faster.  The trickle-in doc indexing may not be as efficient.

I considered some sort of server model for the design. It could be forked at some point to
work like that - I considered using some curl-like interface to servlet to do this, I just
wasn't sure which would be worse, the overhead from JVM bootstrap or the dynamic classloader.
 I suspected, as my past experience with this type of solution, is that the dynamic classloader
has a bit higher overhead, making the JVM bootstrap more negligible.

I've not seen Jackson before.. I'll take a look. Thanks!  Maybe I can support both.

Jim Klo
Senior Software Engineer
Center for Software Engineering
SRI International