couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nils Breunese <N.Breun...@vpro.nl>
Subject Re: CouchDB v1.1.1 on EPEL repository
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:44:46 GMT
Sanchit Bahal wrote:

>>> You could ask the EPEL maintainer for the CouchDB package, but note that
>> "EPEL stands for 'Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux', so their priority is
>> not always having the latest version available.
>
> I thought that it would be someone from the CouchDB community who would
> upload the latest CouchDB package to EPEL. EPEL maintainer would not
> probably worry about what versions of different packages are available.

The maintainer decides when a package is updated and to what version. A repository could potentially
provide multiple versions of a package, but usually doesn't due to the maintenance overhead.
You can always open a ticket with a request for an update [0], but maintainers of packages
for enterprise distributions are usually not too keen on updating to the latest and greatest
just for new features, since new features usually also means new bugs. I think I'll go and
suggest an update from 1.0.2 to at least 1.0.3 though, since that release contains quite a
few bug fixes.

Nils.

[0] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora%20EPEL
 VPRO   www.vpro.nl