couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Raoul <nicolas.raoul.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Best practice for storing large dynamic tree in CouchDB?
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 07:59:52 GMT
Hello,

I want to store a tree in CouchDB.
My app is a large filesystem in which folders/files can be moved/added/deleted.

What is the best practice for this use case?
Below are the approaches I have found on the Internet:

1) Wiki howto
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/How_to_store_hierarchical_data
Is this page really a howto? The redundancy is quite astonishing.
Even worse, the author himself says in paragraph "Moving a node to
another parent" that moving nodes is unreliable, and that he is "not
sure of the best approach to avoid such a problem".

2) Link to parent
Approach #2 at http://www.cmlenz.net/archives/2007/10/couchdb-joins
Each node contains a reference to its parent.
It seems good enough for the author's use case, but I am not sure it
is scalable to mine.

Both of these articles have been written by people who admittedly
"have been playing with CouchDB lately".
Could anybody provide some feedback on those approaches?

Or is there another approach that could be described as a "best
practice" for storing large dynamic tree in CouchDB?

Thanks a lot!
Nicolas Raoul
http://nicolas-raoul.blogspot.com