couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Mark Hahn <m...@hahnca.com>
Subject Re: Performance of many documents vs large documents
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:08:36 GMT
>  I could have one document per metric, leading to a small number of
documents, but with each document containing ticks for every 5-second
interval of any given day, these documents would quickly become huge.

This would not only make the docs large, but you'd have a trail of huge
outdated docs.  You would get n-squared storage problems quickly. Remember
that all versions of a doc are stored until you do a compaction.

I'd suggest one doc per second containing all the metric values for that
second.