couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: View generation order.
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 23:18:05 GMT
Martin,

In answer to your actual question: No, it is not currently possible to
ask couchdb to build view over just the most recent N
documents/updates in a database.

It's true that separating views into different design documents will
allow parallel view building but note that too much parallelism is
just as much as problem as too little.

B.

On 4 January 2012 23:07, Jim Klo <jim.klo@sri.com> wrote:
> What we've done, which may not be ideal... but in our app, all view queries are stale
(will be migrating to stale and update once we upgrade couchdb), but then have an external
job that triggers the indexing by querying for 1 element in a view in each design doc.  You
could follow a similar approach and prioritize which indexes start indexing first if you have
resource limitations, otherwise, I think indexing multiple design docs is concurrent.

> Jim Klo
> Senior Software Engineer
> Center for Software Engineering
> SRI International
>

> On Jan 4, 2012, at 2:50 PM, Martin Hewitt wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was wondering if it's possible to set or influence where the view generation process
starts?

>> We have a large DB which we let clients build views on. We then map those views to
JS map functions and create the relevant design doc. The only problem we have is that the
database is huge and the view generations take a while. This means the oldest data is processed
first, which doesn't suit us as, in the short term, the most useful values are those which
are more recent, i.e. the entries that were made a minute ago not a year ago.