couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Gabriel <a...@barbalex.ch>
Subject Re: CouchBase discontinues Single Server: now what?
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 19:29:24 GMT
Hi all

I'm a biologist who dove into an adventure develloping an app with couchdb,
jquery mobile, phonegap and more. Meanwhile I'm probably deep enough into
it all to somehow bite my way through building from source. But I have
absolutely no idea what would be awaiting me. And dealing with command
prompts is the most frustrating part of learning this all. It is definitely
easier and more rewarding to learn javascript, jquery and jquery mobile.

What I do know for sure: If I had had to build couchdb from source at the
beginning I would have chosen a different database. Which would have been a
real pitty because couchdb is a great tool. As long as installing is easy
and documentation gets better it is simple enough for beginners to relax!

Alex

Am Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2012 schrieb Mark Hahn <mark@hahnca.com>:
> I recommend the build-couchdb script.  It takes about 45 minutes though
> since it builds everything.
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Jason Sachs <jmsachs@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > CouchBase just recently announced that they were discontinuing Single
>> > Server. (
>> http://www.couchbase.com/products-and-services/couchbase-single-server)
>> >
>> > This seems to leave CouchDB without a place to obtain prepackaged
>> > binaries for the major OSs (Windows/OSX/major Linux variants). The
>> > wiki (http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_Windows) cites 3
>> > sources of binaries: Couchbase and two other individuals' sites which
>> > haven't been updated since fall 2010.
>> >
>> > Is there an alternative to CouchBase for obtaining binaries? I
>> > understand Apache has a habit of releasing source code rather than
>> > binaries, but there is immense value in a prepackaged binary and
>> > immense loss of value in not having a reliable source for them.
>> >
>> > --Jason
>>
>> The refuge project and rcouch allows you to build such binaries:
>>
>> https://github.com/refuge/rcouch
>>
>> I will see what could be done to make them available for different
>> platforms.
>>
>> - benoit

Alexander Gabriel
Wiesenstrasse 22