couchdb-user mailing list archives

From <matthew-m.r...@ubs.com>
Subject RE: Using JavaScript libs in a view's map function
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:49:33 GMT

>-----Original Message----- From: Paul Davis
>[mailto:paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com] Sent: 30 January 2012 16:07 To:
>user@couchdb.apache.org Subject: Re: Using JavaScript libs in a view's map
>function
>
>On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Luscus Readbeard
><luscus.redbeard@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I am new to CouchDB and I would like to ask some question regarding the
>> building of complex map functions.  I looked at following documentation in
>> the wiki:
>>
>> CommomJS Modules (http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/CommonJS_Modules)
>> JavascriptPatternViewCommonJs
>> (http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/JavascriptPatternViewCommonJs)
>>

>> But I found this possibility of using some js libs very unsatisfying since
>> you have to be in some CouchApp context.
>>

>There's no CouchApp dependency here. In views you can load commonjs modules to
>use in your map function.
>
>> What I would like to do is to be able to load some other docs or view results
>> in the map function in order to make some complex processing.
>>

>This isn't possible and won't ever be. If we allowed injection of random data
>into a view computation we'd never know when we needed to invalidate the
>results and rebuild.
>
>> I found the jquery.couch.js very convenient for example, I am wondering is
>> something comparable is accessible on the server side...
>>
>> Thanks for any hint.
>>
>> Luscus

What if the application was responsible for triggering a rebuild and was content to have stale
data when it forgets?

Matt
Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please

E-mails are not encrypted and cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities
or related financial instruments.

UBS Limited is a company limited by shares incorporated in the United
Kingdom registered in England and Wales with number 2035362.
Registered office: 1 Finsbury Avenue, London EC2M 2PP.  UBS Limited
is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

UBS AG is a public company incorporated with limited liability in
Switzerland domiciled in the Canton of Basel-City and the Canton of
Zurich respectively registered at the Commercial Registry offices in
those Cantons with Identification No: CH-270.3.004.646-4 and having
respective head offices at Aeschenvorstadt 1, 4051 Basel and
Bahnhofstrasse 45, 8001 Zurich, Switzerland.  Registered in the
United Kingdom as a foreign company with No: FC021146 and having a
UK Establishment registered at Companies House, Cardiff, with No:
BR 004507.  The principal office of UK Establishment: 1 Finsbury Avenue,
London EC2M 2PP.  In the United Kingdom, UBS AG is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

UBS reserves the right to retain all messages. Messages are protected
and accessed only in legally justified cases.