couchdb-user mailing list archives

From CGS <cgsmcml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to implement a database for every user
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:50:11 GMT

Hi Alex,

One option is AJAX (for example, see jQuery AJAX where you should define
something like $.ajax{type: "PUT", url:
"http://barbalex.iriscouch.com/"+options.userdb, ...}, with
options.userdb should be passed from the main registration page). This
option has security problems (I've seen you are not so interested in
security now, but I am sure you will be later) like:
1. the JS script can be seen by everyone (even if packed, it can be hacked);
2. using multiple redirection can hide a bit the things, but it still
can be hacked (gmail uses this method as a security part to protect its
code from hackers).

The advantage of this method is that you can delay the redirection until
your replication is finished (just loop over a test function which
checks for the existence of the required documents and when all the
tests are passed, redirect the user toward his/her new database).

Another option is external trigger. That means, your user triggers the
creation of a document in a db of your choice and instruct CouchDB to
trigger a certain external application every time a new document
appears. The external application can try to access the document (in
which you have the name of the database for that user) and to issue a
HTTP PUT request toward CouchDB. I am not familiar with iriscouch
(Jason, please, accept my apologies for that), so, I don't know how the
external triggers are handled in iriscouch (and therefore I cannot give
you, Alex, more details about the implementation of this option).

The last option I can think of now, is the one I use, but I think it is
useful only in the case you have your own server. Nevertheless, I give
it to you for the completeness reason only. This option is a secured
version of the first option, in which the database creation is managed
at the HTTP server level. This is, set CouchDB server access via another
HTTP server, so, the admin password and all the sensitive data are out
of reach (e.g., I use YAWS in which I define Erlang modules to handle
the connection with the database, so, even if my .yaws page crashes, the
code cannot be seen in the browser - pretty annoying method at the
debugging level though :) ).

I suppose you can try the first option with multiple redirection (at
each level the page should have a specific task). Later on, you can
improve the security of this method.

Good luck!
CGS