couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin R. Coombes" <kevin.r.coom...@gmail.com>
Subject upgrade on windows
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2012 20:43:28 GMT
Hi,

I am currently running CouchDB 1.0.1 on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine.  I
know this version is somewhat old, and I would like to upgrade to
something newer.  My main reason for wanting to upgrade is that I am
currently unable to _replicate design documents along with the rest of
the database (regardless of where and how many times I supply the
relevant admin passwords...).

I tried previously to upgrade in place to something in the 1.1.x series,
and after upgrading, all of my CouchApp databases appeared to have
something broken in the JavaScript related to the base URI.  So I backed
out, reinstalled the old version, and waited for an opportunity when I
might have more time to figure out what was going on.  That time has
arrived...and so I have a series of questions.

[Question 1]
Does there exist somewhere a "feature comparison" between the 1.0.X and
1.1.X series of builds? The Wiki installation page
(http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installation) has a comparison of the
dependencies, but not the difference in features.

The feature I am most interested in at the moment is that I would like
my existing CouchApp JavaScript code to continue to work....

The second most important feature is the ability to _replicate design
documents along with the rest of the database.  Preferably with
instructions on how to do this, including details about when and where
to supply admin passwords.

Which leads to
[Question 2]
Should I upgrade to 1.0.3 or to 1.1.1 to get the features I want?

[Question 3]
I have no interest in compiling CouchDB from source for this machine.
The Wiki pages "http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_Windows"
and "http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Windows_binary_installer" point to
at least three different sources of binary installers. One of those
links (for couchdb-1.0.2) is no longer valid, so it would be nice if
someone removed it. The other two links point to similar-looking pages
on github.  It would be really helpful if someone would document what
the differences are between these pages, and why two competitors exist.
It would be even more helpful if the community would declare one of them
the "official" distributor for Windows installers.... In any event, why
should I pick one of these distributors of windows binary installers
over the other?

[Questions 4 -- Infinity]
Is there an official guide or set of recommendations for upgrading?  Do
I upgrade in place? Do I have to uninstall previous versions before
installing the new version?  If I uninstall, what gets left behind?

Thanks for your help and advice,
     Kevin