couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject The perfect logger
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 02:28:15 GMT
Hi, all. I am brainstorming features for the perfect CouchDB logging
support. I want to know, if God snapped his fingers and logging in
CouchDB was perfect according to You, what would that look like?

I posted a similar email in the development list, but here I am
focusing on features that sysadmins and application developers want.

This is the brainstorming and requirements gathering phase. I will
compile feedback into a spec on the wiki.

For me, here is what I would like to see, in no particular order:

* Opt-in. No surprising changes to the log format or anything.

* Traditional log targets such as syslog, syslog-ng

* One message per line, no more crazy multi-line stack traces. You
should be able to do useful things with `perl -n`

* Javascript errors make more sense. (I know that is vague, it's not a
personal pain point but I believe it is problematic for most people.)

* Ability to send debug, info, and error logs to different places (or no place)

* Ability to send Javascript errors and logs to their own place

* Log to a database. This is the elephant in the room. This is huge
goal, with lots of complications. It will probably be cut from the
first iteration. But this is basically my end game for all this. We
want a database or databases which catches requests to our couchapp,
vhost rules applied, rewrite rules applied, our log() calls from
Javascript, and of course exceptions. And we want a web Couch app to
present that and let us sort and filter. And the app will follow the
_changes feed and give us a real-time "tail -f" of our work, minus
Erlang stack traces.

--
Iris Couch