couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Marcello Nuccio <marcello.nuc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Database size seems off even after compaction runs.
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 08:11:03 GMT
2011/12/23 Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 22, 2011, at 1:44 PM, Chris Stockton wrote:
>>
>> Okay, so this catches me a bit off guard, always thought compaction
>> cleaned those up.
>>
>> Compaction removes old revisions’ and deleted documents’ contents, but their
revision histories are still there. Those should be pretty small, though, since they’re
just trees of revision IDs.

>> (Unless you did delete the docs by just setting a “_deleted” attribute? I don’t
know what the behavior of that would be; sounds like it doesn’t actually delete the document
from the database, in which case maybe the last revision data does get left behind.)

>> —Jens
>
> Deleted documents specifically allow for a body to be set in the
> deleted revision. The intention for this is to have a "who deleted
> this" type of meta data for the doc. Some client libraries delete docs
> by grabbing the current object blob, adding a '"_deleted": true'
> member, and then sending it back which inadvertently (in most cases)
> keeps the last doc body around after compaction.

Can I write these informations in the wiki?
I think it would be very useful in
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Compaction
and in http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/FUQ

Marcello