couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: strange crash
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:45:17 GMT
On 15 December 2011 14:16, Peta Bogdan <bog495@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today I had a strange experience with my CouchDB/1.1.1 (Erlang OTP/R14B04) .
>
> After I inserted a normal size document (ten fields) into database, this
> crashed unexpectedly, and nothing appears in logs (log_level = debug) ,
> only in coucdb.stderr the following line:
> heart_beat_kill_pid = 10014
> heart_beat_timeout = 11
> heart: Thu Dec 15 14:08:19 2011: heart-beat time-out.
> Killed
> heart: Thu Dec 15 14:08:23 2011: Executed
> "/usr/local/couchdb/1.1.1/bin/couchdb -k". Terminating.
>
> I don't know what cause heart-beat mechanism to activate and why it timed
> out?
>
> Any help very much appreciated.
> Thank you,
>
> Bogdan

Hi Bogdan

HB is basically ensuring the erlang VM is responding and if not
restarting the VM.
Brutal but in line with the "Let it Fail" Erlang philosophy.

Are you encountering any other limits or have anything in /var/log/*
of note at that
time?

You can read up about the erlang hb mechanism at
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/heart.html

Of note if you're running a virtual machine is that rapid time
adjustments could trigger this also.

Perhaps benoitc has some experience to share with OpenBSD Couch + Erlang.

Hopefully this is enough to point you in the right direction.

A+
Dave