couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: browserid support
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2011 05:09:08 GMT
On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 22:02, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Michiel de Jong <michiel@unhosted.org> wrote:
>> The other thing, CouchDB as a BrowserId RP, would simply be instead of
>> clicking 'login' at the bottom right in futon, there would be a BrowserId
>> sign in button there. This is nice because then people don't have to
>> remember their CouchDB password all the time. Or for that matter, their
>> password in whatever app uses CouchDB. This would have to be something in
>> front of CouchDB, which check the BrowserId assertion, and opens a session
>> - which may involve storing the plain text admin password and sending this
>> to the client, or creating a session token and staying inbetween as a
>> proxy, or creating a session token and adding this into the _users database
>> as you send it in plain text to the client.
>
> We are further along than that. CouchDB can confirm a valid BrowserID
> identity (however it uses the mozilla.org web service). But the
> experience for the Couch application developer is quite good (IMO).
>
> https://github.com/iriscouch/browserid_couchdb
>
> --
> Iris Couch

As Jason points, out, CouchDB can already act as an RP with the
BrowserID plugin mentoined. I still have a lot of interest in making
CouchDB both a primary identity provider and a verifier, but I've lost
track of the state of BrowserID. I'm including dev@ in the hopes that
a discussion about implementation can grow there.

-Randall