couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Building without debug symbols
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 17:42:33 GMT

On Dec 8, 2011, at 6:14 AM, Albin Stigö wrote:

I'm trying build a version of couchdb to embed with a mac app I'm
writing, so I'd like it to be as small as possible.
Is there an easy way of building it without any debug symbols?

The ‘strip’ tool will remove debug symbols. You can run it manually, or configure the
target settings in Xcode to do it — IIRC, in the ‘Deployment’ section you have to enable
Deployment Postprocessing and Strip Linked Product.

The ‘nm’ tool is very useful for checking that you’ve eliminated unnecessary symbols.

Also, as I said recently on the mobile-couchbase list, I’ve got an unfinished project to
build Couchbase Mobile on Mac OS X as a dynamic-linked framework. If someone else wants to
take it over and get it running again, I’ll gladly share the branch.

—Jens