couchdb-user mailing list archives

From CGS <cgsmcml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: User authentication failures
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 21:10:50 GMT
I tested on 2 GB RAM increasing every time by one order of magnitude at
the time. At 10M it no longer started, complaining about not being able
to allocate resources. I don't know exactly if it is the RAM or my linux
file descriptors (CentOS 6.0). So, I remained at 1M. As far as I know,
Windows 7 supports at maximum 16M file descriptors, so, you may try to
raise it up to that limit for the test.

Another test which I've done was if I can really have 1M spawned threads
which can interact with the OS (Erlang process in which I started 1M
processes in parallel which each should have brought something with
cURL). The answer was no (the OS stopped increasing the number of cURL
instances, invoking lack of resources). The full memory was occupied and
so I couldn't determine if I reached the OS limit or I was starving my
processes.

In case the RAM is the problem, I suppose your 8 GB can bring up a lot
of threads, but if the OS is imposing the limit, then you may want to
leave some file descriptors for other processes as well.

I would be interested at what numbers you reach. :)

CGS