couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Geurts <dennis.geu...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: CouchDB - Open Document Format mega storage
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 12:13:00 GMT
Hi all,

Just my 2cts here...

Although I seem to see nails everywhere when CouchDB is the hammer, aren't you better off
storing xml in an xml database like Sedna?

It allows for versioning of the documents and xpath searches through the documents.

Cheers, Dennis

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
Subject: Re: CouchDB - Open Document Format mega storage
From: Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org>
To: "user@couchdb.apache.org" <user@couchdb.apache.org>
CC:

The suggestion to use an update notification handler to trigger
copying into a VCS is dangerous, as it is not guaranteed to get all
your changes (consider compaction running while you're doing this, you
could easily miss a revision).

It's better to store all your versions in couchdb itself *in the
current revision*. Either as JSON;

{
  "_id":"mydoc",
  "_rev":"3-foo",
  "old_versions": {
    "1" : {}
    "2":" {}
  }
}

or by storing old revisions as attachments. The code doing the update
would post a new revision which contains all your versions, and thus
you cannot lose it, no matter when compaction runs.

B.

On 9 November 2011 10:09, Martin Hewitt <martin@thenoi.se> wrote:
> You might want to look at couchdb-lucene, it indexes attachments using Apache Tika, so
if Tika can index .odt files, you'll be able to search them through couchdb.