couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Mehdi El Fadil <mehdi.elfa...@mango-is.com>
Subject Re: How to present/Visualize/report on data in Couchdb
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:25:52 GMT
Hi Mark,

I think there is no common approach, as you outlined there are many
solutions possible. People use the technologies they already master
in-house to do this, and front-end development is therefore usually needed.

Simon's backbone-d3 might be a solution for you.

Otherwise to avoid having to develop a front-end yourself, you might want
to look at Business Intelligence software. They are good letting users to
generate tables / charts the way they want with minimal need of technical
intervention, and provide decent interface.
Most solutions do *not *support JSON data source, but this is changing
rapidly because of big data analysis hype.

LuciDB might be a solution for you, it adds a layer between couchdb and
some front-end reporting:
http://www.nicholasgoodman.com/bt/blog/2011/06/22/sql-access-to-couchdb-views-easy-reporting/.
I have not tried it myself and have no idea about how good it is.

For Pentaho <http://www.pentaho.com/big-data/> and
Jaspersoft<http://www.jaspersoft.com/bigdata>,
two commercial open source solutions, you might be able to find a plugin
developed by the community in order to support couchdb source (if so please
let me know, I'm interested also). Your non-technical users would only have
to drag and drop the fields they want to generate decent reports /
dashboards.

Tableau software <http://www.tableausoftware.com> and
Qlikview<http://www.qlikview.com/>are good tools you can put in the
hands of managers, with close-to-zero
technical intervention needed. I let you check whether they would be able
to connect to couchdb's REST API...

Then, my company is currently working on an analytics tool using data from
JSON APIs. We do not have a finished product yet but are interested in
talking with potential users to know their requirements.
This is not to sell anything, but rather to identify most needed features,
and type of analysis which is usually needed. Feel free to get in touch by
email whenever you are interested in sharing some details about your use
case.

Hope this helps,

--
*