couchdb-user mailing list archives

From CGS <cgsmcml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting source from GIT, where is configure
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 15:40:31 GMT
Usually, "configure" tests for the existence of libraries, headers,
utilities and their usability. But how do you adapt your tests for
different (POSIX-like) systems? Quite a mess if you try to do it
manually for a wider range of OS's. Here comes autoconf. That's but an
example.

Bootstrap here tries to put all the steps before "configure" in one
script. It's a nice practice which helps quite some the installation
process (and, of course, healthier than providing only "configure").
This tells me somebody looked into installation optimization for a wider
range of OS's and I cannot but salute the initiative. :)

Cheers,
CGS

On 11/02/2011 03:50 PM, Timothy Baldridge wrote:
>> Ah thanks I understand now. Read the install doco and expected to see all the files
there at the start. Appears Releases don't have bootstrap as configure is already present,
which confused me also.