couchdb-user mailing list archives

From James Marca <jma...@translab.its.uci.edu>
Subject Re: 2011 Apache CouchDB Community Survey...
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 19:34:05 GMT
I agree with others that the mailing list is great.

But I'm one of those people who like learning from books and manuals,
and so for me the wiki is the go to documentation source.  This is my
only real complaint about the CouchDB ecosystem: the wiki doesn't
replace good documentation and has parts that are out of date.

In contrast, I really like the PostgreSQL documentation.  It offers
page after page of detailed explanation that allows for user comments
and is synchronized with each version of PostgreSQL, so if you're running
8.4 you can read the 8.4 manual, 9.1 gets the 9.1, etc.  I wish there
was an equivalent documentation source versioned according the major
CouchDB releases.  I know nothing about the organization there, but my
guess is they make all new hires slog through the manual and update
everything touched by all new features.

The O'Reilly book that is on-line is also a good resource, but is also
out of date. It would be great to go to that site and click to get the
1.1.x version of the book, or the 1.2.x, etc.

And these suggestions are offered in the spirit of "make CouchDB
*more* super mega rad".

Regards

James Marca