<flamebait>
It's sad when an excellent mature product has a stable release, and I have to spend 3 hours to figure out why it doesn't compile and install by having search the fragmented internet to decipher the cryptic error dumps or for ways to make it compile, or have to learn any other beyond basic build related information. An mindless IT monkey (guy who just sets up servers) should be able to install it quickly and efficiently.

As a USER of couchdb (as I thought this was user@couchdb.apache.org!), I shouldn't have to know how to deal with Spidermonkey, Erlang, libmozjs, etc. or understand how they work with CouchDB. The fact that I do know how to deal with most of those things is a plus, but shouldn't be a requirement.  I should just be able to install and use. ./configure; make & sudo make install is perfectly acceptable to me... it just needs to work consistently!

Most users of CouchDB will not have the time to deal with this either!  Time is $$$.

So I wouldn't go out and bash all those folks who want to use binaries.  You must be a Gentoo worshiper...
</flamebait>

A good OSS citizen would go update the Wiki with those instructions! :)

Thanks,

- Jim

Jim Klo
Senior Software Engineer