couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sean Copenhaver <sean.copenha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: unique constraint in couchdb
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:30:19 GMT
Yeah, relational databases have a lot more data integrity checks and
constraints. For CouchDB I'm unaware of any unique constraints provided by
the database except for the _id attribute.

Do the timestamps get updated frequently for a document? Is it a concern
that the _id changes? Would it not work to just keep inserting the new
documents instead of updating old ones? Does the data have to be always
consistent or can it be eventually consistent? Perhaps you just keep
inserting the documents with a _changes feed listener running to resolve
these "conflicts" in your data integrity.

If you truly want CouchDB to do the check for you then you'll have to shove
what you want into the _id attribute. This doesn't sound like a bad idea if
that is truly what gives you a unique chuck of data.

--
“The limits of language are the limits of one's world. “ - Ludwig von
Wittgenstein

"Water is fluid, soft and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is
rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft and yielding will
overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is soft
is strong." - Lao-Tzu