couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Threaded External Handlers
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2011 18:00:05 GMT
http instead of stdin/stdout. >http://davispj.com/2010/09/26/new-couchdb-externals-api.html
> Thanks Robert, I knew about the Http Proxy feature new in 1.1!
> In our deployment our business logic is stored code (js/py) on CouchDB that should be
run  at server-side, we have Apache Web server as our front end. So that may not be the case
for us to use CouchDB's http proxy for running server-side code!
> In our case I think solutions are to
> 1) use mod-python handlers in Apache (and write business logic code in Python => No
code sharing through the whole system)
> 2) ADD!!! NodeJS to our architecture as processes managed by CouchDB os-daemons to which
Apache routes requests
> 3) Write fake CouchDB update handlers and use them as Stored-JS-code-Runners (with couchapp
code sharing through documents), and call these handlers from mod-python to fulfill the business
logic.
> 4)?

The http proxy was written for people that wanted things to behave
exactly as the old externals in terms of URL namespaces and so on. As
you point out its not necessary if you already have an upstream proxy
that you can route directly to your external, at which point you
really don't have much need for them. If you're already managing
multiple daemons in production like this there's less use case as you
can just install the "external" as a normal app server as a 3-tier
style architecture.