couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Binary logs?
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:33:52 GMT
Those are all normal ASCII values, though. You might need to open the
file in a hex editor to examine it safely. Grep is likely scanning for
bytes over 127 at the beginning of the file.

As for the error, it looks like couchjs is crashing in your list
function, so perhaps you have a syntax error in your code?

B.

On 27 October 2011 17:30, Travis Paul <Tr@vispaul.me> wrote:
> I do see some errors that are probably making grep think the file is binary
> and I pasted them here http://pastebin.com/rA9kHSNF if they are at all of
> interest. I am unsure of their meaning.
>
> I encountered a 'bizarre' error that I want to catch, which occurred when I
> accessed the _rewrite url  to a view and Couch returned a lot of plain text
> that looked like a stack trace, which a page refresh corrected and I have
> not been able to recreate. I don't recall the date when I encountered that
> error or what the error message looked like, so I'm not sure what to look
> for in old logs, but I never want a user to see it so I'm trying to catch it
> to see if it was something that I did or possibly a bug.
>

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Grep has a heuristic to detect text vs. binary by examining the first
>> part of the file. I'm curious to know what you have in, say, the first
>> 100 bytes.
>>
>> couch.log is a text file, my guess is you have some strange characters
>> in your log that is fooling grep.
>>
>> B.
>>
>> On 27 October 2011 16:59, Travis Paul <Tr@vispaul.me> wrote:
>> > If I try grep without the -a flag such as:  *grep "Thu, 27 Oct 2011"
>> > couch.log*
>> > I get: *Binary file couch.log matches*
>> >
>> > tail, and head commands work as usual, but if I want to open the file in
>> > gedit I have to do something like: *strings couch.log > couch.log.text*
>> >
>> > less command complains as well: *"couch.log" may be a binary file.  See
>> it
>> > anyway?*

GET