couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Gabriel <a...@barbalex.ch>
Subject looking for couchapp examples for managing user authentification
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2011 10:07:51 GMT
Hi all

This is surely a very basic beginners problem - I am biologist and only
starting to learn programming. It may well be a java script issue and have
nothing to do with couchdb.

In my couchapp (
http://barbalex.iriscouch.com/evab-ch_barbalex_evab/_design/evab/index.html
, https://github.com/barbalex/EvabMobile) every page needs to know the user
name as that is saved in every file. After logging in I get the user name
like this in every page:

*User = "";   //use global variable to save user name in*
*$.couch.session({*
* success : function(r) {*
* userCtx = r.userCtx;*
* if (userCtx.name) {*
*                        //save user name in variable*
* User = userCtx.name;*
* } else {*
* //user is not logged in, present the login page*
* window.open(Pfad + "index.html", target="_self");*
* }*
* }*
*});*

There probably are several problems here (for example using a global
variable, not using a dedicated function to fetch the username) which is
probably why this is bugging me - the variable "User" doesn't seem to return
the username correctly - sometimes it does, others it doesn't (even though
"GET http://barbalex.iriscouch.com/_session" returns "
{"ok":true,"userCtx":{"name":"z","roles":[]},"info":{"authentication_db":"_users","authentication_handlers"
:["oauth","cookie","default"],"authenticated":"cookie"}}"). I have spent a
while now on this problem and come to the point where I need a pointer.

I don't expect you experts to teach me java script of course. It would be
great if you could point me to some couchapps I could look into to learn how
this (and other stuff) is done correctly.

I looked into AndroidGrocerySync for Android. But it seems to be a native
app programmed in java.

Your help is much appreciated!

Alex