couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Deployment of populated couch database to mobile
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:55:01 GMT

On Oct 25, 2011, at 8:02 AM, Wordit wrote:

I have a web app I want to deploy to Android. It will remain a web
app, *not* native Java (thanks to the virtues of Phonegap).

I suggest asking this on the mobile-couchbase Google group <http://groups.google.com/group/mobile-couchbase>,
where the folks knowledgeable about the Android build hang out. (I work on the iOS version.)

- CouchDB for Android is intended for native access via Java, At least
from looking at: … Or can I use javascript to access the couch on the Android device?

I know there’s been some work on integrating CouchDB into PhoneGap, but I don’t know the
current status.

- Asking users to install CouchDB, or mobile futon, separately is a
dependency which will turn many users away

It’s not a separate install. You’d build CouchDB / Couchbase Mobile into your app.

- Even passing the above obstacles, the db would need to be populated
on the first run

I know this can be done on iOS and I’m pretty sure it can be on Android too.

—Jens