couchdb-user mailing list archives

From CGS <cgsmcml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help installing CouchDB on Ubuntu
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2011 06:51:46 GMT
Hi,

Jason, maybe you should update your project to be more verbose. In such
way you will know exactly where the problems are when it fails. Also,
maybe you should check for installed dependencies (e.g., if libmozjs is
installed, then your build will fail because CouchDB will take the
default installation). Just a suggestion for your free time, nothing else.

For the rest, yes, I agree, for someone new or someone who doesn't have
time for that, it may be a pain. I understand that because first time I
had to install CouchDB on my laptop I had no time for manual
installation and I took also "batteries included" approach. And maybe I
would have continued with this approach if the next project wasn't
requiring CentOS which doesn't have any CouchDB package. So, I was
forced to install it from source (and to install manually almost all the
major dependencies). Also, I admit I had to spend some time to find all
the correct dependencies (the worst was the SpiderMonkey for which the
configure doesn't check for the correct version, therefore it doesn't
report any problem, but GNU Make stops the compilation because of
incompatibilities in between versions of SpiderMonkey). But, believe or
not, I found other software which was worst to be installed (in which
configure didn't report missing dependencies, so, I found which
libraries were missing from the compilation stage in which I had to look
for certain headers and so on).

So, yes, maybe that's something CouchDB is not so strong about (the
installation documentation to be more detailed). But you are not alone,
you have this community to help you (in case you have time to learn how
to install it for the first time from source - the worst is the first
time, as always). Otherwise, "batteries included" may be the best option
for you (as it was for me too).

Cheers,
CGS