couchdb-user mailing list archives

From CGS <cgsmcml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: same attachment across documents / databases
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:14:30 GMT
Hi Gregor,

I might be wrong because I am no expert in that field. But from the
documentation, one can deduce that all the attachments are inserted into
the document and not pointing toward a physical file (quite logic if you
consider the main purpose of CouchDB: web-oriented database). As
replication mechanism is the same for local replication and replication
over the network (just transferring the content of data from source file
to the target file), my guess is that your attachment is copied in all
the physical files for which a replication operation was applied.

However, depending on your project requests, instead of attachment you
can use a pointer which you can use it in shows (at the user's end). The
limitations of such a method are imposed by the cross-domain limitations
(if you use AJAX).

I hope this answer will help you in designing your project and if
somebody notice any mistake in my answer, please, correct me.

Cheers,
CGS