couchdb-user mailing list archives

From CGS <cgsmcml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: undefined reference to JS_SealObject
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 06:54:18 GMT
Hi Jason,

First of all, good job that you thought to share from your experience
and put everything into a package.

Just out of curiosity, I would like to ask you few questions if I may.

1. I noticed you put all the dependencies in your project (or at least
most of them). Why didn't you use wget (or git or whatever) instead to
bring them locally from the projects web pages?

2. I also noticed you used log files for some processes while for others
there are no such file (e.g., for icu you used config.log, but you
didn't add also the the compilation and installation to that log). Is
there a reason or just the time didn't allow you to add logs for that? I
am sorry if this question is not correct, I see that scripting language
for the first time (I use BASH/AWK/SED and maybe few more for scripting).

3. And one last thing related to the choice of scripting language. Is
there a reason you chose rake or it is just because you feel yourself
"at home" with it?

Don't get me wrong, my intention was never to criticize your work. I
think you did great especially that you shared it with all of us. I am
just curios because I've seen different ways to do the same job and I am
trying to learn which one is the most suitable for such a job (maybe I
will follow it as well because I am doing also some sys admin work).

Cheers,
CGS

On 10/25/2011 05:53 AM, Jason Smith wrote:
> Hi, Jim. I maintain build-couchdb. Thanks for your success story!
>
> I'm a sysadmin, unaccustomed to the nice rarefied atmosphere of
> programmers. Build CouchDB reflects that; it's one hack after another.
> Long story short, I'm not sure it would be welcome among those who
> know what quality is.
>
> On the other hand, build-couchdb could in principle make BigCouch.
> I've wanted to add BigCouch and Lounge support for a while. I will try
> to make a BigCouch build option (I think the dependencies are broadly
> similar); however only as time allows. I'll update the mailing list if
> I see progress.
>

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Jim R. Wilson<wilson.jim.r@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Master - just hit up github and started following the readme.  Was a bit
>> concerned that the spidermonkey ppa said "karmic" but shrugged it off and
>> pressed onwards.
>>
>> For the record, I have never been able to successfully build straight couch
>> either, EXCEPT using build-couchdb[1], which chainbuilds erlang, curl and
>> spidermonkey from their respective github projects.  I was even able to do
>> this using vanilla Centos (of all things).
>>
>> So +1 for a build-bigcouch project if anyone is up for it.  A cursory
>> googling didn't turn one up, but you know what they say about absence of
>> evidence[2]. :)
>>
>> Context: I'm co-authoring a book on databases, and I'd love to talk about
>> BigCouch in the CouchDB chapter, but I need to be able to run it.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/iriscouch/build-couchdb
>> [2] https://plus.google.com/u/0/114924461829472558358/posts/fGcYwTuq6q5
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>>
>> -- Jim
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Adam Kocoloski<kocolosk@apache.org>wrote:
>>
>>> Ok then -- 1.1.0 does not support JS 1.8.5 (the 1.1.1 candidate we're
>>> voting on now does).
>>>
>>> Jim, I should have asked in the beginning, but did you try to build
>>> BigCouch from the master branch or from a tag?
>>>
>>> Adam

>>> git://github.com/membase/spidermonkey.git' and it worked. I used that
>>> because the official version 1.8.5 raised similar error in CouchDB
>>> compilation. Maybe it will help you as well.

>>> definitely preferred now.
>>> various versions of Spidermonkey in both CouchDB and BigCouch.  I don't know
>>> if he tried the Ubuntu 11.10 package specifically.  I suspect when he's up
>>> later today he'll have some insight on the matter.  Regards,

>>> Oneiric).
>>> on how

>>> bunch of

>>> -lcurl