couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Frederick Dalgleish <dalgleish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Doc design / performace
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 06:29:19 GMT
The real answer I have for you is "I don't know."

The other answer is a bunch of generalities, some of which may be even true, all of which
you
probably have already considered....but if not, here goes.  All of this is worth what you
paid for it....the advice that is.

The number one rule of design is to make the granularity of your design such that each document
is about
equal to an object in an object oriented programming language, let's say, Objective C for
kicks and grins.

So an object might be a dog.  A dog is a product in your schema.  A dog or a product might
have characteristics, like objects do.
Dogs have sizes, colors and tail lengths.  Products have prices, quantities and maybe colors
or something.
The product is a document.  The fields are the characteristics.

The second rule of design is that a million items in CB won't process as fast as say, 10 items.
 So feel free to have a bunch of
databases with fewer numbers of objects in them.  Consider scaling up to more servers.  Consider
getting better advice than mine.
That won't be difficult.

The third rule of design is to remember the machine and/or the CB product you are using.
A CB product which caches some of
the more frequently used or frequently somethinged items in RAM, rather than forcing all the
fun to and from the disk which is spinning
as fast as that poor disk is able, trying to keep up with your app....will be faster than
otherwise.  So consider Membase related products.

The fourth rule of design has nothing to do with design.  It isn't really a rule.  It just
says that things go faster when the machine has more
cycles per second, more processors, higher bus speeds, higher bandwidth to and from the server,
more RAM, and a billion other little things.
All the external to the server stuff can be ruled out if you are using localhost, probably.

So, if your machine is the cat's meow and your budget for software and CB help instances is
limitless, you are certain to figure this out.

Cheers.  FD

PS  If you get an answer to your question that really rocks, please consider sharing it with
me (us).

On Oct 21, 2011, at 12:06 AM, Thomas Hommers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i am quite new to couchDB and trying to build a sales application.
>
> I designed a document as product. One product consist of multiple sub-products that are
unique to one product.
> Next i designed a sales document that consists of multiple products. The quantity of
each sub-product can be chosen independent.

> When i know want to see the total sales quantity, i created a view that runs through
all sales-docs and emits the sold quantity, with the product- and sub-product-number as keys.
This way I am able to see the sold quantity by product and by sub-product with a reduce function.

> The problem i am facing is that it takes a long time to display an overview of all quantities.
> Did i maybe design something wrong and should take another approach? e.g. maybe I should
create a doc for each sub-product instead of having them all in one product-doc? Would this
be faster?