couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Update the document without current version
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:52:44 GMT

On Oct 13, 2011, at 12:59 AM, Max Ogden wrote:

In your case you seem to be somehow replacing documents without first
knowing about them, which seems weird to me. Can you shed some more light on
what application level features depend on the force_update/delete_conflicts
API?

This does seem weird in many contexts, but I ran into a situation last month where it would
have been useful: deleting a replication document from the _replicator database. The problem
is that, while the replication is active, the server task is updating its document fairly
frequently with new state info. Trying to stop the replication by deleting the document while
this is going on can be frustrating because it’s a race condition — you get the latest
revision, try to delete it, get a conflict, get the new revision, try to delete that, get
another conflict… I finally had to write a loop that would keep doing the above over and
over until it succeeded.

Based on this, I think it can be useful in some contexts to have an override that says “I
want to delete (or overwrite) this document regardless of what its current state is”.

—Jens