couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Tillmann Seidel <tsei...@eclipsesource.com>
Subject Re: Data corruption problem with attachments
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 15:09:01 GMT
Unfortunately the problem with the corruption happened only three times, and every time it
was not reproducible when creating the document a second time. I'm afraid I can't supply you
with the request/response. Since it is not reproducible, I could not try using curl.

I'm using Apache Java HTTPClient 4.1 and JCouchDB 0.11 on the client side.

Best regards
Tillmann

On Sep 7, 2011, at 4:57 PM, Robert Newson wrote:

> If you supply a Content-MD5 header in your request we will verify it
> (and reject a mismatch) just like Amazon S3 does. That doesn't imply
> that couchdb routinely corrupts attachments (it doesn't).
>
> Can you paste a full request/response where you regard the result as
> truncated or corrupted? What client software are you using? Can you
> reproduce this with curl?
>
> B.
>
> On 7 September 2011 14:53, Tillmann Seidel <tseidel@eclipsesource.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a problem with data corruption on CouchDB. I'm creating documents with attachments
using PUT requests in CouchDB 1.0.2 . Once in a while it happens that a stored document is
corrupt, i.e. an attachment is truncated or has no data at all.  CouchDB does not return an
error though when the document is created.

>> The description of COUCHDB-558 makes me think that this is a problem that's not unheard
of:

>> "We could detect in-flight data corruption if a client sends a Content-MD5 header
along with the data and Couch validates the MD5 on arrival."

>> Now my question is: what might cause such an in-flight data corruption? And what
could I do to prevent it? Or if I cannot prevent it, can I at least make CouchDB detect it
during creation?