couchdb-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jason Konrad <>
Subject unusable database in 1.0.1. steps to take?
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 02:39:44 GMT
I have a database that has become unusable today. The only way I can
get the couchdb server to function is to remove "thedb" which it
doesn't like. I've attached a file with some of the log data as well
as some errorr futon throws up. I'm looking for any ideas for next
steps to try and "recover" this database.

This is running on a CentOS5 system with erlang-R12B-5.12.el5 and

Let me give you a little context to how this came about. I have one
database, not the one with problems, that has a high update rate on
documents. Combined with smallish disks this requires compaction a
couple times a week. The compactions have been going well but the data
is not always freed up from the system after the compaction. In order
to get the disk space to free up I restart couchdb. This process had
been working for a few months but not today.

On the restart of couchdb the first signs of something out of the
ordinary was happening, two views were being completely recalulated.
These calculations can take hours to finish but today that was not the
case. After about 30 min the views stopped calculating and couchdb
started throwing 500 response codes for everything no matter what
database was being used ( there are 26 total, 1 bad one ). I tried
restarting couchdb but all that would happen is the log file would get
loads of data like the stuff in the attached file and then eventually
couchdb would terminate.


View raw message