couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Wedekind <jan.wedek...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: to CouchApp or not to CouchApp
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:30:09 GMT
Hi

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:21, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:

> It's time to ask whether the word "couchapp" does more harm than good.
> As a historical phenomenon, it is brilliant! The command-line tool is
> brilliant. But the word is meaningless. It is incoherent. It
> disappoints developers, setting expectations and then betraying them.

I think you're hitting the nail on the head. It's a brilliant concept but in
reality you run into so many open issues that it can lead to disappointment.
That's probably a bit unfair, but true.

Most of that can - and I am sure will be - resolved in time by better and
less scattered documentation. Right now, it's a often mess to find stuff.
Things are all over the place and often out-dated. Try googling for "couchdb
security"...

We all need
> welcome_mat, so it is worth building. This is HTTP. This is web
> development. Bringing an idea to completion, nothing ever works
> correctly anyway. That is the platform. Nothing ever works as planned.
> It's one disappointment after another. But, if you can work through
> the bugs, you've got an app on the most successful software platform
> ever (the web), and IMO the most visionary web platform ever
> (CouchDB). So I think it's worth it.

Me too! Totally worth it! :)

I think the book and wiki could definitely use a couple of real world
examples that take security into account. It obviously influences how you
have to distribute your data, what limitations/workarounds you need to live
with or implement etc.

Jan