couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: CouchDB as a windows service.
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 19:40:02 GMT
Hi Walter,

Just reposting my response to the list + a few more bits after seeing
the thread. This is not difficult to do. However I'm currently moving
home & continents so not much spare time.

TL;DR
1. install accompanying vcredist.
2. change local.ini as required.
3. read couchdb.bat and use erl.exe  + same parameters as a service, not erlsrv.

lean.7z was created to allow people to integrate minimal couch into
their apps without the service or installer crud.
CouchDB runs just fine using couchdb.bat without *any* reg keys, just
updating the 3 relevant ini files.  No need for more smarts. Or just
create a service as erl.exe or werl.exe with the same parameters as
used in couchdb.bat and it will work fine.
Finally, you can't "just" add erlsrv.exe as a service; it stores its
configuration for auto-restart & other functionality in
HKLM/Software/.... This is erlang stuff & when you understand why its
built like that it is pretty useful.

Some homework - read:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Quirks_on_Windows especially "How is
CouchDB deployed on Windows?" and "Integrating CouchDB into your
Windows Applications"

also http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html erl and werl are
functionally equivalent apart from werl having better scroll bars and
copynpaste.

the lean build referred to in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1181 is here
https://github.com/dch/couchdb/downloads (tested) and a more beta-y
couch 1.2.x are in here - some bits don't work (snappy) others should
(coffeescript), https://www.dropbox.com/s/jeifcxpbtpo78ak/Snapshots/

In my experience this is a really helpful & open community; I
certainly have benefited from it. The questions you're seeing are not
rude, nor inflammatory; just bewilderment when seeing somebody trying
very hard to make windows look like unix. There are a lot of people
here, myself included, who have spent a long time futzing this! Relax,
we're just trying to understand where you are coming from.

One can climb Mt Everest walking from sea-level, but 95% of people
doing so don't. There's probably something in that. Maybe you're one
of those lone buddhist monks in an orange robe :-)

A+
Dave