couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Gert Cuykens <gert.cuyk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: url rev=x overwrite document _rev:y
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 23:17:58 GMT
On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2011, at 4:00 PM, Gert Cuykens wrote:
>
>> The first example, will result into a document conflict because rev is
>> not specified in the doc and the rev from the the url gets ignored.
>> All other examples work
>
> I think what you’re pointing out is that when PUTting a document you have to specify
the current revision as a _rev key in the JSON; whereas many related requests (like DELETE,
COPY and PUT of an attachment) specify the revision in a “?rev=“ URL query parameter instead.

> I _think_ the reason for this is that PUT came first and has the simplicity of requiring
that you send back a modified copy of the exact document you got from the GET. When the other
requests were added they didn’t have any obvious JSON body to hold the _rev, so they added
it to the URL instead.

> It seems reasonable to suggest that PUT be allowed to specify the revision ID in the
URL as an option. It might simplify some client’s code if it were consistent with the other
requests that modify documents.

> —Jens

Yes, exactly it will tremendously improve and shorten my client code.
Can you implement this in the development branch pleas.